Are you looking for natural ways to cleanse and care for your face and body? Skin care products are a booming industry – we care a lot about what our skin looks like! We don't need to use harmful chemicals on our skin to enhance our natural beauty, but can make some products right at home, then you can pamper your hands, refresh those tired feet and moisturize your body with lotions, body butter, scrubs, salves and soaks.
Essential oils can be a good tool too use for skin care. Clary Sage, Geranium, Helichrysum, Mandarin, and Frankincense can be good options. These are safe for children, pregnancy, and breastfeeding. Myrrh can be a safe option if you are not pregnant.
Hydrosols are another wonderful addition to your skincare routine. Options such as Sandalwood, Calendula, Lavender, and Geranium can be used as toners or used to replace water in recipes for lotion.
When using essential oils for the face you need to be certain to only use a low dilution of 1% since the skin on the face can be more sensitive. More info on dilution here: Diluting Essential Oils.
One of the best things you can do for your skin is to do an oil cleanse. This was a brand new concept to me and it took a bit of convincing that you could cleanse your face with oils, but is works and feels wonderful. Check out this guide from Mommypotamus: The Oil Cleansing Method: A How-To Guide for Clear, Radiant Skin
Make your own skin cleansing pads using cotton rounds
These pads are great to help with make up removal or quick cleansing when you may not have time for full cleansing routine.
- Find a small container which will fit your cotton rounds.
- Make a blend of your favorite skin nourishing ingredients, which could include witch hazel, hydrosols, aloe vera gel, carrier oils and essential oils.
- Mix well and pour over the pads in the container and allow to soak in and continue to add the mixture until your pads are well saturated, (completely moist all the way through, but not dripping). Make sure the lid is on tight and turn the container upside down for a while to make sure that the mixture is able to soak into the pads at the top as well as the bottom.
- After a time you may find you can push down the pads in the container and add a few more pads along with more of your cleansing mixture.
- Using Essential Oils Safely for Acne
- Lea's morning skincare routine (video)
- Lea's evening skincare routine (video)
- DIY Organic Beauty Recipes by Heather Designer (Mommypotamus)
Also of interest…
- Using Essential Oils Safely with Children
- Using Essential Oils Safely during Pregnancy & Nursing
- Using Essential Oils Safely around Pets
- Safety of many popular pre-made blends